We are a mercury-free practice. However, many people still have silver/mercury fillings in their mouths from years past. These fillings are not particularly pleasing to the eye, and we know that by unavoidable design, silver/mercury fillings ultimately result in a weaker tooth structure. Porcelain inlays and Tooth Colored Restorations (onlays) create fillings that are not only beautiful (or unnoticeable) but also add strength to weakened teeth. These restorations are esthetically pleasing and very strong thanks to new bonding technologies.
Advantages of Tooth-Colored Restorations
There are many advantages to tooth-colored restorations. Resin inlays are bonded to the teeth creating a tight, superior fit to the natural tooth. Such restorations can be used in instances where much of the tooth structure has been lost. The tooth remains intact and stronger.
Since the resin used in tooth-colored restorations contain fluoride this can help prevent decay.
The result is a beautiful smile!
Tooth Colored Restorations
You can have your silver fillings replaced with tooth-colored restorations. The direct technique allows the dentist to prepare the tooth and place the filling in one visit. The indirect technique is used when there is too much damage to the tooth the support a filling but not enough damage to require a crown.
- The old filling is removed along with any additional decay.
- Tooth colored filling material is placed into the tooth preparation. These materials include glass ionomers, resin ionomers, and composite resin.
- At the first appointment, the old filling is removed along with any additional decay.
- An impression is made of your teeth. A model of your teeth is made and sent to the lab.
- A temporary is placed on the tooth.
- At your next appointment, the temporary onlay is removed.
- A conditioning gel is placed on your tooth to prepare it for the new onlay.
- Bonding cement is placed on the tooth and a high intensity light bonds the resin to the tooth.
- The tooth is then polished.
Your teeth are restored to a natural look and feel, they are stronger and the tooth is protected!